Recent and current topics researched by members of the Newport Centre for Counselling Research include:
- Students’ experiences of personal development groups in counsellor training
- Counselling children and young people
- Counsellors’ constructions of social power
- The influence of the counsellor on their clients
- Developing and teaching an integrative approach to counselling
- Researching one’s own practice
- Supervising and marking Masters dissertations across disciplines
- Student learning in Consultative Supervision
- Genetic counselling
- Helpful aspects of therapy
- Music therapy
Within all these areas, we adopt a critical and reflexive approach to understanding counselling, focusing on developing critical analysis of the interface of theory and practice. Members of the Newport Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Research have experience in a range of methodological approaches, particularly in qualitative and New Paradigm research. Lesley Spencer has a particular interest in collaborative enquiry, narrative research and heuristic research, whilst Sheila Spong is currently involved in discourse analysis and how counselling theory can be applied to practice. Els van Ooijen is interested in heuristic and other types of practitioner based research. Blanka Hubena has an interest in action research.
(authors in bold are current NCCPR members or were at the time of publication)
- Coombes, E. & Tombs-Katz, M. (2015) Interactive Therapeutic Music Skill-Sharing in the West Bank: An Evaluation of Project Beit Sahour. First View March 2015 Approaches .
- Jury, Helen 2015 ‘And if you have no words for it?’ An Exploration of Attachment Issues through Art Psychotherapy. Ch14 in Healing the Hidden Hurts: Transforming Attachment and Trauma Theory into Effective Practice with Families, Children and Adults. Archer, C, Drury, C. and Hills, J. (eds) Philadelphia: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
- Spong and Waters. (2015) “Community-based participatory research in counselling and psychotherapy,” European Journal of Psychotherapy & Counselling, pp. 1–16.
- Spong and Mulcahy (2014) Counselling and Other Services. E-learning session for Counselling MindEd. London: BACP [available at https://www.minded.org.uk/totara/program/view.php?id=42]
- Spong and Mulcahy (2014) Counselling and Specialist CAMHS. E-learning session for Counselling MindEd., London: BACP [available at https://www.minded.org.uk/totara/program/view.php?id=42]
- Spong, Dowd, Waters and Jackson (2013) Scoping Study of the Relationship between Specialist CAMHS and Counselling for Children and Young People. Report for BACP. [available at: http://counsellingminded.com/scoping-reports/ ]
- Van Ooijen, E. (2013) Clinical Supervision Made Easy: a Creative and Relational Approach for the Helping Professions (2nd edition). Ross-on-Wye: PCCS Books
- Coombes, L (2013)“Brainstem” and “Music Therapist”. In Kirkland, K (ed) International Dictionary of Music Therapy. Hove and New York: Routledge p16 and p82
- Spencer, L and van Ooijen, E (2012) Making the Most of Supervision. Leabrink, Fownhope, Hereforshire, UK: Counselling DVDs in association with University of Wales, Newport.
- van Ooijen, E (2012) Healing Past Hurts: Reflections on a Practitioner Doctorate. The British Journal of Psychotherapy Integration. Vol. 9, Issue, 1, pp17-28.
- van Ooijen, E (2012) A personal reflection on the praxis of integrative psychotherapy. Members’ reports on their own research. The Psychotherapist. Issue 51, Summer, pp23.
- van Ooijen, E (2012) Why I became a counsellor. Therapy Today.net On line Magazine May. Vol.23, Issue 24. http://www.therapytoday.net/article/show/3104/print/
- Faris, A. and van Ooijen, E. (2012) Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy. A Relational Approach. London, Sage.
- Coombes, Liz & Elliott, Melissa (2012). Cymru (Wales): Land of Song. Voices: A World Forum for Music Therapy. Retrieved July 09, 2013, from http://testvoices.uib.no/?q=country-of-the-month/2012-cymru-wales-land-song
- Spong, S. (2012) The challenge of prejudice: counsellors’ talk about challenging clients’ prejudices. British Journal of Guidance & Counselling (Jan 2012) 40 (2) 113-125
- Spong, S. and Davies, E. (2012) Evaluation of the Newport Primary Schools Counselling Project: From service commencement to the end of December 2011. (June 2012) unpublished document for Newport City Council.
- Spong, S. (2012) Validity, Vision and Vocalisation: Social Responsibility Arguments and Power-Sensitised Counselling. Psychotherapy and Politics International (Feb 2012)10(1), 69–75
- Hill, Cooper, Pybis, Cromarty, Pattison, Spong, Dowd, Leahy, Couchman, Rogers, Smith, Maybanks, (2011) Evaluation of the Welsh School-based Counselling Strategy: Final Report. Cardiff: Welsh Government.
- Coombes, E. (2011) Project Bethlehem – Training Educators and Health Workers in the Therapeutic Use of Music in the West Bank. Voice: A Forum for World Music therapy. 11 (1) https://normt.uib.no/index.php/voices/article/viewarticle/291/445
- Spong, S. (2011) How to design and conduct research interviews. Information Sheet R16. British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy: Rugby.
- Spong S (2010) Discourse analysis: rich pickings for counsellors and therapists. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research. March 2010. 10(1) 67 – 74
- Faris, A and van Ooijen, E (2009) Integrating Approaches. Therapy Today. June, Vol.20, Issue 5, pp24-27
- Spong, S (2007) Scepticism and belief: unravelling the relationship between theory and practice in counselling and psychotherapy. Chapter in: Smith, S.R. (ed) Applying Theory to Policy and Practice: Issues for Policy Analysts and Critical Reflection. Aldershot: Ashgate
Selected conference papers
- Spong, S , Waters, Dowd and Jackson (2014) Counselling and Specialist CAMHS – a special relationship? Paper delivered at BACP Research Conference, London , May16, 2014.
- Spong, S. and Waters, R. (2014) Developing a Community Participatory Research Project with Carers in a Counselling Research Clinic. Paper delivered at BACP Research Conference, London , May16, 2014.
- Rochon, Jack (2013) Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf? A workshop exploring the tensions and benefits of collaborative or co-equal single case study research, in which editorial control is shared. Workshop presented at the Newport Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Conference, Newport, November 2013.
- Van Ooijen, E and Spencer, L. (2013) Supervision training and its effect on practice. Paper presented at the Newport Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Conference, Newport, November 2013.
- Van Ooijen, E. (2013) Mindful supervision: protecting the reflective space. Workshop given at the ‘Evolving Supervision in a Changing World’ conference. Bristol, 12th October, 2013
- Van Ooijen, E. (2013) When the therapist is ready, the client appears. Keynote address to BCPCA Gloucestershire. Summer Talk. Cirencester, 22nd June, 2013.
- Van Ooijen, E. (2013) A personal investigation into the praxis of integrative psychotherapy. Paper presented at the 29th annual meeting of the Society for the Exploration of Psychotherapy Integration. Barcelona, 9th June, 2013.
- Mulcahy, J. (2013) Schools based Counselling – A University Model. Mental Health Conference (Mental Health Today) May 2013 (Newport).
- Waters, R. and Spong, S. (2013) Community Participatory Research in a Counselling Research Clinic. Paper presented at the Newport Centre for Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Conference, Newport, November 2013.
- Spencer. L. (2013) Developing an ethnographic method in order to compare multiple narratives in a genetic counselling appointment. Paper delivered at British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy Research Conference, Birmingham,. 11/5/13
- Waters, R. and Spong, S. (2013) Community engaged research in a counselling research clinic: first steps. Paper delivered at the Society for Psychotherapy Research Conference, Oxford, September 14, 2013
- Spong, S. and Davies, E. (2013) Differing discourses / shared commitment: counsellors and teachers discussing a primary school counselling service. Paper delivered at BACP Research Conference, Birmingham, May11, 2013.
- Spong, S, Hubena, B., Mulcahy, J., Spencer, L. (2013) Community-based counselling research: piloting a research / practice infrastructure to meet local needs. Poster presented at BACP Research Conference, Birmingham, May11, 2013.
- Spong, S. and Waters, R. (2013) Community-engaged research in a counselling research clinic: first steps. Keele Counselling Conference, University of Keele, 16/3/13.
- Spong, S. and Waters, R. (2013) Developing a pragmatic model of community-engaged research in a counselling research clinic. Mental Health Research Network Cymru, National Conference, 7/3/13, Wrexham.
- Spong, S. and Cromarty, K. (2012) Implementing the Welsh Government strategy for provision of school-based counselling: four case studies. BACP Research Conference, Edinburgh, May 2012.
- Spong, S., Mulcahy, J and Hubena, B. (2011) Community based counselling service: developing a research / practice infrastructure to meet local needs. Poster presented at the Community Engaged research in Wales Conference, Cardiff, November 2011.
- Spong, S (2011) Not foreign, fantasy or frightening: developing a Counselling Research Clinic in Wales. Paper presented at the Newport Centre for Counselling Research Conference, Newport, November 2011.
- Spong, S (2011) Discussing the Co-construction of Meaning in Therapy. Poster delivered at BACP Research Conference, Liverpool , May 2011